Joseph Meehan

Default How to disconnect fluorescent lights?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
My kitchen ceiling has 4 light fixtures with 2 fluorescent lights in
each of them (T-12 4' long). This is too bright and wastes energy.

I would like to deactivate 2 of the fixtures. Can I just pull the 2
tubes out of 2 fixtures, but leave these fixtures (with the ballast)
connected to the house wiring?

If you are heating your house, you are not wasting energy. The
energy used to light the bulbs and turns into heat and therefore your
main heater works less. In the summer, the AC will work harder though.

I'm told that just removing the bulbs does little to the current draw
and the ballast is still using the electricity. Someone more
knowledgeable than I would be better suited to answer that.

I could be wrong, there are many kinds of ballast, but I believe that
must if not all will draw some current anytime the power is on, with or
without lamps. They will just warm up. However I believe the total
energy consumed is less and as far as I know the ballast will not be
damaged. Personally I would re-wire it so I could turn on one or both.
There are several ways of doing this. You also could disconnect the power
to one ballast.

If the fixture is too bright, you may want to consider replacing it. IMO,
fluorescent light is too harsh for a kitchen. Or course, that
can cost thousand of dollars. If you removed the fixture, the
ceiling will have to be painted. That means the walls have to be
painted or papered as they will look dingy. Once that is done, the
floor is going to look old so you'll have to get that ceramic tile
you always wanted. You get the idea, the new fixture can run up to
$10,000 or more.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit