Edwin Pawlowski

Default How to disconnect fluorescent lights?

"Walter R." wrote in message
My kitchen ceiling has 4 light fixtures with 2 fluorescent lights in each
of them (T-12 4' long). This is too bright and wastes energy.

I would like to deactivate 2 of the fixtures. Can I just pull the 2 tubes
out of 2 fixtures, but leave these fixtures (with the ballast) connected
to the house wiring?

If you are heating your house, you are not wasting energy. The energy used
to light the bulbs and turns into heat and therefore your main heater works
less. In the summer, the AC will work harder though.

I'm told that just removing the bulbs does little to the current draw and
the ballast is still using the electricity. Someone more knowledgeable than
I would be better suited to answer that.

If the fixture is too bright, you may want to consider replacing it. IMO,
fluorescent light is too harsh for a kitchen. Or course, that can cost
thousand of dollars. If you removed the fixture, the ceiling will have to
be painted. That means the walls have to be painted or papered as they will
look dingy. Once that is done, the floor is going to look old so you'll
have to get that ceramic tile you always wanted. You get the idea, the new
fixture can run up to $10,000 or more.