PipeDown

Default How to disconnect fluorescent lights?

As long as you take both bulbs off the same ballast it should be OK as long
as nobody sticks a finger in the unoccupied fixture. Put up a little
electrical tape to CYA.

Sounds like you already know how to disconnect, why not go all the way and
install a pull string switch on the side so you can turn on/off the second
lamp at will. You get the best of both worlds and its not that hard. I
assume there will be sometime when you want a lot of light.

"Walter R." wrote in message
My kitchen ceiling has 4 light fixtures with 2 fluorescent lights in each
of them (T-12 4' long). This is too bright and wastes energy.

I would like to deactivate 2 of the fixtures. Can I just pull the 2 tubes
out of 2 fixtures, but leave these fixtures (with the ballast) connected
to the house wiring?

Would this damage the ballast? Would the fixtures, with the ballast but
without the tubes, still draw power? Or, should I disconnect the wires to
the fixtures (more trouble because I have to open the fixtures)?

Thank you

--
Walter
www.rationality.net