Andrew Gabriel

Default Bearing Oil

In article ,
raden writes:
In message .com,
writes

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
What's a good bearing oil for a phosphor bronze (I think)
bearing in a small computer fan? Would a tiny bit of car
engine oil do?

Aren't these mostly 'sealed for life' ?

They pop out quite easily if you're careful about it

Yes, having fitted a new one, I thought "nothing to lose",
and just pulled on the fan. The whole bearing came out,
and it looks like it was designed to. It seems to have
been oiled originally, but the oil has gone thick, maybe
due to muck getting in (wasn't very well dust proofed).
Fan is a strange size/power rating, otherwise I wouldn't
have bothered thinking of repairing it.

If you can get access to the bearing then use something light. Say
sewing machine oil or 3-in-1.

OK, thanks.

--
Andrew Gabriel