Andrew Gabriel

Default Bloody washing machines..

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Oh dear. I hate this washing machine.

I amn tempted to replace it, but just in case its worth fixing...

... it leaks water.

Not when I haul it out and watch it run through a cycle...but when it is
actually washing - especially big or eccentric loads we THINK.

Well, do a big load in it, hauled out.
Any clues where the water comes from, as in back/front, left/right?

It's a Hotpont...I suspect the plastic drum is cracked or something...is
this worth fixing or is it a chuck job?

I don't think drum cracking is a common cause of water leaks.
New outer drums are of the order of £100.

Its already sheared off the mountings for the weights which are car body
fillered back on to it.

A colleague bought one ~20 years ago. First time he used it, the
concrete weights turned into a pile of sand on the floor. I think
they forgot to put any cement in the mixture;-) Mine, which is
only a year younger, is still going, but probably near the end.
I damaged the outer drum when replacing the drum bearings.

--
Andrew Gabriel