Default Proper siding caulking procedure?

On 11 Nov 2005 23:23:17 -0800, someone wrote:

...comment of having to specify clear caulking a little bogus. I am
especially curious to call several other siding contractors now to find
out what they would do in similar situations.

Hmmm, you really think other contractors have any motivation to shoot
the breeze with you just theoretically of course as to what they would
have done on a jib they didn't do..... And to what point, do you
really think that if you go back to your contractor and say "well Joe
Blow said that HE would have used clear...." then YOUR contractor will
say "oh golly gee I didn't know that, why now I will certainly tearout
all the caulk and re-do the job for you for free"....

Bottom line, you left an ambiguity. Even YOU realize there is more
than one answer - either match the color or use clear. Imagine if he
used clear and then the homeowner said "idiot, why didn't you match
thye color". You really SHOULD have specified the color. Whay color
is your house again? What color are the windows frames? While I
wouldn't think white was right, it is a "basic" color and its iffy how
"wrong" he was IF NOBODY SPECIFIED a color.

On professionally managed construction jobs, the "specs" for the
project can run to hundreds of pages. On "homeowner" jobs people
often expect the workers to be mind readers and know what the owner
had in mind even if it wasn't said.

Don't repaint unless you have to. Don't assume you have to. Don't
assume you simultaneous closing is gonna take place on the originally
expected day, either.