Joseph Meehan

Default Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring

wrote:
Hi,

First of all, I have a circuit that started tripping every time a
large appliance such as a washing machine or a dishwasher was used.
I had no money for repairs, so I just stopped using the dishmachine
and ran an extension cord to another circuit for the washer, but now
the light fixtures attached to it have stopped working. A voltmeter
shows that there is voltage going to the fixtures, and I've tested
the bulbs to make sure that they work. Any ideas? This house was
built in 1935, and the wire running to this circuits breaker is a
really old one with that cloth insulation, probably the original
work. Is this something a DIYer would have a chance of fixing
without burning the house down? If not, any ballpark guess on how
much an electrician would charge for something like this?

Second, while looking at the wires in the attic, I'm kind of skeptical
about the craftsmanship of the person who installed it. Some of the
wires are just loose, running 15 feet or more unanchored to anything.
Some are connected to porcelein discs which are connected to wooden
beams, and others are just stapled to the beams. Many of the wires
and porcelein discs are buried in sawdust-like insulation so deep you
can't see them. I had the home inspected before I bought it, and I
don't recall the inspectors saying anything about this. I'm not an
electrician and I don't know much about it, but I would think this is
a fire hazard and I'm concerned about safety issues. I've already
lived in one home of similar age that caught fire due to electrical
issues. What do you think?

I agree with Duane. You have a potentially dangerous situation and it
does not sound like you have the experience and knowledge to correct it.
There are just far too many possible issues to try and give you instructions
over the internet.

For starters, I suggest that the voltage you are getting on the line may
not be an indication of anything like you think it means. 30 years ago the
meter you used would likely have read zero volts, today's meters are far
more sensitive and you are likely to come close to 120V even when there is
very little current available. Note: Without knowing what you are doing,
please don't assume this is the case, it may not be and you could have a
live line. Even something as simple as checking the line for voltage may
not be a simple as it seems.

Try to find an older professional. He has seen it all and knows what to
look for and how to correct it. The new kid may not have any experience on
legacy wiring and may not know where to start.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit