Robertm

Default Furnace cement / gasket question

I'm using the gasket supplied by Empire, their part number 712098. The local
serviceman who is an Empire dealer said, "Oh those things don't last" and he
threw it away. I asked him if it would be ok without the gasket and he said
yes, but of course, it isn't ok because it leaves a space of about 1/16 of
an inch between the inspection window and the firebox.

Bob

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Robertm" wrote in message
I have an Empire 15,000 BTU direct vent heater. The gasket at the
inspection window lasts only a short time and then fumes are vented to the
room instead of outside. Would furnace cement work just as well? How
difficult would it be to get it apart if the pilot needed to be relighted?
The heater has one of those piezo ignitors but due to faulty design or
manufacture, it never worked so the inspection window must be opened to
relight the pilot with a match. Is there a longer lasting material that I
could cut for a gasket?

Bob

What are you using for gasket? They should last a very long time.

No, don't use furnace cement.