Duane Bozarth

Default well woes

3D Peruna wrote:

"Bob Morrison" bob@ _remove_rlmorrisonengr.com wrote in message
k.net...
In a previous post wrote...
3) What is a minimum reasonable flow rate? We'd hoped to use a new
variable speed pump that can handle up to 30 gal/minute.

Serious advice is welcome.

7 gallons per minute is a pretty good flow rate. If you are concerned
about loss of water then use a larger than normal pressure tank. It would
be very unlikely that you are going to use more than 7 gpm for any
extended period of time, unless you plan to do a lot of irrigation.

Remember, most toilets are only 1.5 gallons/flush. Showers and other
constant flow devices typically use 3 gpm.

I have a 5 gpm well that works just fine. My pressure tank may be a tad
small if we are doing a lot of laundry plus a lot of showers, but if we
spread the load out a bit, there is no problem.

Bob's recommendations are good... we have 7 gpm, but only use it for our
heat pump. The one thing that we did was go with a larger than normal
pressure tank (sized one up from what was calculated -- it as actually $30
cheaper for some odd reason). The larger size prevents short cycling. You
should be fine.

My concern in that area would be the source and the reliability over
long term. How long a test was the 3 gpm rate test?

I'd talk to somebody local who knows the aquifer for more data prior to
making a final decision...of course, the driller wants to either finish
this or move on _real soon now_, so you've got a tough decision to make.