Bob Morrison

Default well woes

In a previous post wrote...
3) What is a minimum reasonable flow rate? We'd hoped to use a new
variable speed pump that can handle up to 30 gal/minute.

Serious advice is welcome.

7 gallons per minute is a pretty good flow rate. If you are concerned
about loss of water then use a larger than normal pressure tank. It would
be very unlikely that you are going to use more than 7 gpm for any
extended period of time, unless you plan to do a lot of irrigation.

Remember, most toilets are only 1.5 gallons/flush. Showers and other
constant flow devices typically use 3 gpm.

I have a 5 gpm well that works just fine. My pressure tank may be a tad
small if we are doing a lot of laundry plus a lot of showers, but if we
spread the load out a bit, there is no problem.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co