Gunner Asch

Default Any Ideas?

On 15 Nov 2005 06:44:41 -0800, wrote:

Relz wrote:
Well, I've gone and done it.

I was changing out the water pump in my car and I busted off a bolt in the
aluminum block. So, I tried an easyout. After breaking that thing off in
there I decided to weld a nut to the little bit of bolt that was sticking
out. The result is now a bolt that is completely flush with the block and
it has an easyout broke off in it.

I'm thinking of just putting it back together and hoping that it doesn't
leak with the one bolt missing.

Does anyone else have any other tricks up their sleeves?

Relz

I did the same thing on my cast iron Jeep engine, but there was just
enough bolt sticking out that I was able to weld a nut on with a mig.
I have read in an old Lincoln welding book a technique for removing
bolts that are broken off below the surface. This book said to use a
stick welder, and to put the electrode down in the hole, and build up
the weld until it was far enough above the surface to weld on a nut.

I don't think you will get away with leaving one bolt missing.

Dave

I recently helped a guy change a clutch in his pickup. There was a
steel stud thingy that was the pivot point for the clutch fork..and he
had managed to beak off the end of the stud thingy in the bell
housing. So I went in with an endmill with the side flutes dulled on
a belt sander and face milled the stud flat (drill motor), then made
up a steel rod a smide smaller than the hole, drilled a hole through
it and stuck in a piece of heat shrink tubing, then stuck a 6011 rod
down the heat shrink, put the rod down the hold until it was on top of
the broken part and fired up the welder, then pushed in the electrode
until it arced and then welded for a second or two. I then used a
slide hammer to pull the rod and busted thingy out. Worked slick.

(insert diety of your choice) was with us.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner