Harold and Susan Vordos

Default OK Harold, we give *up*!

"Greg Krynen" wrote in message
news:V2nef.15731$rO4.13854@trnddc05...
Harold, I would like to comment about machinist incomes. I am not a
machinist but have grown up around a few here in California.
These machinist always had better cars and fancier homes than my family

did.
One, a close friend, owned his CNC machines and could afford to move them
halfway across thestate when he decided to move his home as well.

Hey Greg,

I realize that there are those that have done quite well in machining. Many
of my peers did much like the friend you described (only not the move), some
of whom have made a considerable amount of money----but it takes working for
one's self to do that, which I did.

I think machinists make great money but it all depends on how they price
themselves, who they work for and reputation.

Those in Washington State that work for Boeing are reputed to be making
about $60,000/year, and they are not machinists, but work under the
machinist's union. Could be that I am no longer well advised----I've been
out of the machining trade since '83 and haven't attempted to stay current.

I started in the trade in "57, as a trainee. Pay was $1.50/hr. After ten
years in the trade, I was being paid $3.50, as were the vast majority if
machinists in Utah. That was pretty much what they earned, and it was well
under the pay of the construction trades for the time. Please understand
that I am not down on the trade, and not really complaining about the wages.
My point was more one of having worked for a living, not stealing my way
through life.

Of course it also helps to machine sensitive government parts or precision
parts rather than parts that can be outsourced to other countries.

Very true. I subcontracted primarily from the aero-space and defense
industries, with additional work for the pharmaceutical industry. I
established a good reputation for my ability to work to fine tolerances, and
specialized in small work, at which I appear to be at my best. I made a
choice to work alone, and to stay with manual machines. The only way you
make killer good money is to over-bid the work, or to work hours.
Considering my philosophy, I chose to bid fairly, and work hours. I
didn't mean to imply I didn't make money, surely I did, but dragging down
triple shop rate wasn't the norm, nor was it my desire. I've always prided
myself in having earned my way in life-----and would consider myself a
hypocrite to do otherwise. I've spoken out about unearned money, and that
applies to me as well as others. Again, I'd like to think that I don't have
a double standard.

I am quite intolerant of those that are leaches on society------and that
includes folks with double standards that think it's fine to cheat a
company. What really torques me is that these are the folks that would be
looking for a cop when the same thing was done to them. Message received:
It's OK for me to screw over others, but it's not OK for anyone to screw
over me.

This entire thread has been very revealing, and has considerably enlarged my
kill file, which, up to now, contained only a couple names. There are
folks here that I simply have no desire to know, nor to communicate with,
and the reason should be obvious. I am an open person that willingly
invites others to visit. I don't want to worry about those that accept the
invitation and have sticky fingers. Frankly, when anyone explains to me
that it is acceptable to cheat others under circumstances of their choosing,
they are not welcome. How can I, or anyone, know when their convoluted
thinking will allow them to decide that I am fair game? I wouldn't
associate with folks like that any more than I'd associate with child
molesters. In my estimation, they, in part, are what's wrong with society
today.

Thanks for your comments, Greg. It's a pleasure to talk with folks with
manners.

Harold