Joseph Meehan

Default Need to seal off slab heating ducts

wrote:
I recently bought a 40 year old house that has heating ducts in the
slab. It occasionally has water leak into the ducts after a lot of
rain. It dries up within a couple of days and there is no evidence
that there has ever been any mold problems.

I just finished rerouting the ducts into the attic (MAJOR job), and
removed the slab ducts from the supply feed. Now I need to close off
the slab ducts. I have seen other forum posts suggesting filling them
with concrete. Filling the entire slab duct would be a lot of concrete
and a real pain.

I am looking for other (simpler/cheaper) alternatives. One would be to
seal off a couple of feet each side of each register with conrete. An
even more attractive solution I think would be to use expandable foam
(like "Great Stuff") to fill around each register.

Does the expandable foam solution have any problems?? Are there other
alternatives??

Thanks,
JJ

I would not do anything about them for a year. See how well those attic
vents work and how much energy they may loose. You may want to go back to
the slab vents. At least most of the heat (and cooling) loose there is
returned through the concrete.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit