JWho

Default What Would Be the Standard Practice in This Situation? - 1

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article 2Icef.574812$xm3.305769@attbi_s21, JWho says...

From an earlier post:

The bike is disassembled to the frame currently, so measuring rake and

trail
is not possible right now. I haven't checked offset, as it is close to

the
same, and if it were any different, it would be for the better. The tire

OD
is the same. I'll have to get it all bolted up before worrying about

fork
length (travel is the same, but axle to clamping area may be different).

am thinking any slight height difference can be taken up by sliding the

fork
tubes up in the clamps. Right now, I am just worried about how to get

one
metalworking issue solved. I have to take care of "first things first".

As has been mentioned before, a steel spacer is the best way to go.
You are hampered by the thin wall that the geometry requires. You
cannot make this by hand. You will need to have it made on a lathe.
One way to do this is to shrink fit it (with heat) into the top clamp.
Shim stock is a bad approach I think.

Jim

Hi. I agree that a steel tube is the way to go. After everyone's advice, I
am not going to try the tube method by hand. If the stainless shim stock
and Loc-Tite 638 do not work, then I will definitely pay someone to make me
a couple of tubes/sleeves. Do you have a rough estimate of what this would
cost to have made at a local machine shop? I have never had any machine
shop work done, so I have no clue on how getting one to make something for
me would normally go. Do they charge by the hour, plus cost of the metal,
or just charge X amount for a particular job?

Thanks.