Malcolm Stewart

Default Cavity Wall Insul;ation - does it work ?

"Stephen" wrote in message

Winter's here so I'm thinking about cavity wall insulation.

Is it worth it - does it make a difference ?

I had my 1980s house done years ago - in November, from memory.
Before and after the big day I recorded the temperature in a bedroom where
the radiators were turned off. I had the bedroom door closed, so it's
heating was by leakage from the rest of the house which was thermostatically
controlled. The bedroom goes from front to rear of the house, and has
external walls on 3 sides with single glazed windows back and front. The
weather before and after installation was broadly similar, and I recall that
my unheated bedroom was noticeably warmer after insulation was installed.
Can't remember how many degrees, as it's 22 years ago!
(Some years later, strict implementation of gas boiler ventilation
requirements have noticeably reduced my comfort level. My boiler room was
independently ventilated, but not strictly in accordance with the BS, so
extra ventilation is now in place. You win some...)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK