Andy Wade

Default New TV aerial for 'strong' or 'weak' signal?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

Now that differs from my understanding that all the digital will be up in
group C/D.

Dunno where you got that bizarre idea from. In principle anything
remains possible, but that one, I think, is most unlikely.

That gives the Bliar thieves the whole of groups A and B to sell
off. Surely there is no other reason for the rapid push to a digital
service?

Conspiracy theory runs wild... The proposal to 'release' 14 channels
(only) has been in the public domain for some time now, although
detailed channel plans certainly aren't, and won't be until
international coordination work is much further advanced. There's also
a major radio regulatory conference in progress (RRC04-06) considering
VHF & UHF broadcast allocations in Region 1 and nothing is firm until
after that concludes next year.

As to "rapid push," it's actually quite slow. From The start of DTT
(1998) to the proposed conclusion of switchover (2012) is 14 years.
Now, let me see, UHF/BBC2 started in '64 and the last 405-line TX shut
down in '85 - that's 21 years, so you could say that the digital
change-over is 30% faster - hardly as drastic as "rapid push" would
suggest, perhaps.

--
Andy