Greg O

Default LawnBoy Crankshaft BENT? :-\

"fish" wrote in message
Total deflection at the tip of the shaft [lower tip] =1/16". Not too
much deflection near the lower seal.

What should I do? Reassemble with new seals and say my prayers? Or,
try to straighten the crankshaft?

THanks again,
Fish.

Bent crankshaft in a lawn mower engine?
As far as I am concerned it is junk! No manufacturer recommends
straightening crankshafts for good reason. Most mower crankshafts are cast
iron, once bent, they crack. Straighten them and they crack more!

Now all that said there will be 100 other posters that will tell you the
opposite. I did small engine repair for 5 years and ALL small engine
manufacturers said not to straighten cranks.

A while back someone here claimed that Briggs & Stratton sold crank
straighten tools. I asked for part numbers for the tools, and the poster was
never heard from again! there is some aftermarket companies selling
straightening tools, but no engine manufacturers!

It is a lawn mower with a sharp blade attached, spinning at 3200 RPM. What
is your leg worth? What is your leg worth after the crank breaks and sends
the blade through it?

As far as just running it, 1/16" of an inch of run out is allot when it is
turning at 3200 RPM. It will vibrate like a S.O.B.!!
Greg