jhill

Default Sheetrock thickness question ????

I am not sure what your concern is about extra thickness. I assume you are
talking about getting the door and window facings/trim boards back on. You
have two choices. Put a 1/4" shim on the edge of the window and door casings
and nail the facing back over that, or if the facings are thick enough, saw
off 1/4" thickness part way from from the back, leaving a 1/4 by 3/4" strip
intact where it fastens to the casings. The latter is what I did.

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm completely redoing a bathroom in a house that was built in the 50's.
The studs in the walls are 2 1/2" (actual thickness). The wall covering
that was ripped out was some kind of compressed paper (not drywall) and
the thickness was 3/8" (actual thickness). They used a flat nail with a
head like I've never seen before and it had to have been put up with some
kind of gun. Getting them out was no problem. Greenboard in my area only
comes in 1/2" that I know of. This will leave some extra thickness over
the door/window. I'm just curious as to how the pros would tackle this
job ?? Thanks very much.

Joey