M&S

Default Fast drying with no microwave?

George wrote:

"M&S" wrote in message
ink.net...

We own a band mill so I have tons of wood kicking around, walnut, cherry,
red (slippery) elm, hackberry, sassafrass, sycamore, poplar, basswood,
ash, loads of many major oaks, and some others.

Anyway, I am also a potter and have an affinity for lidded forms and have
been thinking of turning several small lidded jars/boxes as gifts for
friends however given the one month deadline I am wondering if there is
anything I can make that will stay in tact after I give it to the
individual with only a month between turning and the holidays. I am also
very partial to nesting bowls.

Well, the natural suggestion, if you have a desire to hollow a bit, is
ornaments. I give them as "aunt Maude" gifts to those who need nothing, but
deserve something.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e/50ce955c.jpg

Then there any number of ways to do warp-and-go turnings. At 1/4" they're
final sand and finish at two weeks easy, one week possible.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e/0f24664e.jpg

Our other aunt Maude gift is a plate of fudge or butter cookies. Normally
they come from the wide scrap pile, though I suppose you might purposely cut
the odd board to get something special. They're already dry, but you have
to make the fudge.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e/9c45af12.jpg

Don't neglect some of that mostly dry 2x stock. Rough, micro on interrupted
(low) power for a 4 minute cycle, check for evolved moisture. Repeat if
it's still got a lot after it cools.

CAREFUL - thick or dense (knots) areas can ignite!

George,
Thanks for some fantastic ideas. Are those ornaments you showed made in
a single turning from dry stock? They are truley beautiful. I am very
interested in the warp-and-go bowls you posted. They are also very
beautiful.
If you could point me to a bit more information on the two I would
appreciate it. Looking at the ornaments I am sure I can cobble together
a lot of dry full cut rough 2x stock to turn. Am I incorrect in assuming
those are made from 2-3 turnings? Top/bottom/body?

Thanks for a great reply,
Mark