W Canaday

Default Slippery Elem

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:26:01 -0800, maquah wrote:

Bill:

Just learned a new thing here using the microwave. However, discussing
it with my wife, who has more knowledge than me in wood characteristics,
and a laid back approach to things, she asked me the following question.

"What settings did he use and at what time windows in doing it? The wood
might crack if it is done wrong or explode with the steam in its inner
core.": These were good thoughts, and I had no idea of the outcome.

Furthering pondering great thoughts while ensconsed on my white
porcelein god, I wondered about limitations or size. Could you put a
block of wood in there and do it? What size would be the limit? What
about pitch in pines etc?

A) Cool thing that your wife shares this avocation with you!

B) I set the microwave on high for a period of 1-4 minutes. Basically, I
stop when I can see steam leaving the wood and let it cool down. Normally
I would be drying several at a time so , while one is cooling,the others
get their turns heating. Just make certain (my guesswork) to give the
steam a chance to fully vent before zapping it again. Most woods are
fairly porous, so the cooling time is probably more than needed for the
venting.

C) I have another microwave in the basement specifically for drying wood.
(thank you, Yahoo Freecycle groups!) I have dried blocks as large as 12"
diameter by 5" thick. I give it longer cycle times at about 70% power and
longer rest time. The steam is deeper in a raw blank so, after the first
few cycles, I no longer watch for it but keept setting the microwave to
the same energy levels and time as got me steam previously (obviously this
varies for every chunk of wood ... after a half-dozen or so you'll start
getting a feel for how high and how long).

D) I don't know anything about drying pine. You're on your own there. But
I can tell you that emerald ash borer beetles will catch fire if trapped
inside the wood. DAMHIKT