Morris Dovey

Default Router Bits: Single Flute vs Double Flute

joe2 (in ) said:

| What is the performance and or application difference between router
| straight bits with a single flute and a double flute? Why two diff
| bits that do the same thing?

A single flute on a straight bit allows retention of more "meat" on
the shank - resulting in a stronger bit with less deflection.

A single-flute bit requires a slower feed and/or higher spindle speed.

More flutes permit higher feed rates and/or lower spindle speed. When
I have a choice I opt for three flutes, with two flutes as my second
choice. I've found that more flutes produces a smoother cut, perhaps
because with the spiral cutters I use, one of the flutes is always
bearing against the side of the cut.

When cutting with a V-bit, three flutes allows "parking" the bit
briefly without enlarging the cut at the parking spot.

The bits may be intended to produce the same-shaped cut but their
behavior is different. Choose the bit that provides the behavior
characteristic(s) you deem most important for the job you're doing.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar