Jim

Default Installing a bathroom exhaust fan and the proper way to vent it...

On 11 Nov 2005 15:24:40 -0800, "BobK207" wrote:

Jim-

Where is the house?

In my previous SoCal home both batroom fans had their flex aluminum
ducts terminate near / against the gable end attic vent

I never had any mositure problems but SoCal is near desert conditions.

If you're in an area where condensation could occur make sure you do it
right. You will be buying a lot more trouble downstream

The "correct way" is a roof penetration. The soffit solution is ok as
well, as long as the flow terminates with an acceptable "vent cover".

cheers
Bob

The house is in Virginia. The winters are relatively mild. Certainly
nothing like Minnesota or New England. Temps rarely stay below
freezing. The end of the flexible aluminum duct was just laid on top
of the soffit.

What I will probably end up doing is to extend the ducting upward
until it is within a few feet of the ridge vent. There's just me
living in the house and I rarely take long, hot showers.

Also, how critical is it that the fan be installed level and plumb
for proper operation? I installed it a bit out of level.