Ray L. Volts

Default freezer door pops open

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message
news:Su6ef.7461$9T4.1872@trnddc04...

"FearlessFerret" wrote in message
Again, not a Q strictly related to electronics but this group is the
closest fit.

I have a GE GTS22KCMBRCC (top-freezer) refrigerator. After a couple of
months it developed a minor but annoying habit: when the main
compartment door is closed firmly the freezer door pops open. I don't
have a problem cultivating the habit of closing both doors at once but
I've got two absent-minded school age kids and they're not picking up on
this.

How do I go about diagnosing or fixing this?

/ff

Go to an appliance store. Pick a model at random and firmly close the
freezer (or fridge) door. You should see the other door move outward
slightly. It doesn't come flying open, though. Why? The magnetic strip
in the door seal is working properly. Could it be that your
absent-minded, school-age kids might have decided it would be cool to wave
another magnet around the door seal? That could demagnetize the seal
strip.

Alternatively, do you perhaps have a TV set sitting on top of your fridge
(or on a countertop right next to it)? It's possible with enough on-off
cycles and a sufficiently strong coil, the TV's degaussing coil could
eventually demagnetize the door seal strip.

Btw, strong speakers, a powerful fan motor, etc. placed near the strip could
yield the same result.