Arfa Daily

Default A Non-friction bicycle lights generator (dynamo)

"Porky" wrote in message
oups.com...
1.
Nov 10, 9:49 am show options

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 10 Nov 2005 09:49:32 -0800
original | Report Abuse

In this new generation bicycle light system

Back in the 50's-60"s, some Raliegh, probably British import, bikes had
a dynamo built into the hub of the front wheel. They would have been
far superior to the friction clamp-on jobs we had to use on our paper
routes. I wonder why that design was dropped. I had a used Raliegh
3-speed for a while, but it had the drum brakes instead of the dynamo.
They were not good brakes.

John Kogel

My British bike ( which was a Raleigh ) that I had when I was a kid in the
60's, used a hub dynamo on the front wheel, and a Sturmy-Archer three speed
gear hub on the rear wheel - worked by a twist-grip, no less, rather than
the old finger lever !! A lot of my mates had bikes with the old friction "
bottle " dynamos on them, and I couldn't believe how much pedal effort it
used to take to turn them, against how easy mine was. There was no
difference that I could detect, lights on or off. but I guess that there
must have been a little.

I also remember that some bikes - particularly those used by the coppers -
had a sort of cylinder fixed to the vertical frame section under the saddle.
This contained rechargeable batteries of some description. I guess they were
D sized cells. When you stopped pedalling, the lights continued to be