Ken Davey

Default facing question

wrote:
"With a firm - but not tight - grip on the workpiece tap into running
true. A
dial indicator helps here."

Could you give a bit more detail? Do I tap the workpiece into the
chuck until I can no longer see any wiggle at low speed? How would I
use a dial indicator for this purpose?

Best to turn the chuck by hand while doing this.
Tap the workpiece on the side to 'bump' it into running true.
Depending on your need for precision it may be sufficient to just eyeball if
it is running true.
Otherwise set up the dial indicator to run on the side of the workpiece and
gently approach precision with the tool of your choice - everything from a
lump of lead to a soft hammer.

Ken.