Mike Slowey

Default Be the Norm Abrams (This Old House) of metalworking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

steamer wrote:

--All true! Bottom line, tho, is that if we want to grow the
hobby something like this wouldn't hurt. I'd *love* to see a show about
machining. I think the real problem with a show like this would be the
projects that one would want to present. That is to say, even the
longest projects on NYW only take two half-hour segments to complete.
I've a feeling that even the *simplest* metalworking project would take
two half-hour segments; the really fun ones would take most of a
season, yes?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Doodle doodle dee
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Wubba wubba wubba...

You'd have to heavily time compress it for the short attention span
audiences. Even so you could probably still get away with 4-6 episode
projects as long as they were interesting enough. One episode can
certainly be a composite of a weeks worth of activity and a six week
(real time) project is not unreasonable.

Pete C.

Okay, guys. I'm over it. Yea, I like humor as much as the next guy. Next
time my BS filter will be better tuned to look out for it.

That said, let's look at the original idea.

There was a considerable response to the idea which says to me that
there is the germ of an idea here. And with respect to those of you who
have first hand video production experience, I'm sure you're right about
all the time and trouble it could cost to do something like this. But.
think about this...

Suppose each of you who have some metalworking project you are proud of
should take movies or stills of your project and then gather them all
some place. If you had a place where the more basic ones could be
stored, like your companion web-site, or a totally new web site, then
suppose you made the site have more appeal by word-of-mouth or other
promotion to the general public. Then, after several months do a little
site analysis to see what kind of viewership it generated. From this you
could get some idea of the amount of interest out there.

Assuming there is interest, you already have the web contents of this
site "in the can" to show to potential sponsors and you have your
viewership data (assuming there is good data and good results). Now, you
could feel confident about having a need in the market, and having the
people who could meet that need, i.e. those of you that have built the
web contents and those of you who contribute in the second step, so you
could proceed with getting a little more quality for a second project or
second episode.

Take a step at a time get the data, get the content, get the need met.
Grow a little bit after each step.

It could happen.

Mike