David Maynard

Default The truth about OS/2!!! [ Why aren't computer clocks as accurateas cheap quartz watches?]

Mxsmanic wrote:
David Maynard writes:

Gerber solved the 'which way' problem, just in case, when marketing to
Africa by using only one pictu the famous Gerber Baby on the label.
Except, in Africa companies generally put a picture of what's inside
because most people there can't read. Give's "baby food" a whole new
meaning, don't it?

Are Africans so dense that they can't figure out that the picture
represents something _for_ a baby, rather than baby flesh?

Saying they're 'dense' is a bit harsh and you're basing it on the culture
you're used to. I mean, if everything you saw was a picture of what's
inside then you'd probably expect the picture to be a picture of what's
inside too.

My *guess* would be it was just confusing. That perhaps they assumed it
couldn't possibly be 'baby' inside but... what could it be then? Salve?

On the other hand, who knows what they think of barbarian anglos?

Things that seem 'obvious' in one culture can be anything but to someone
not familiar with it. I learned that one in the middle east when I went for
a public toilet and found myself looking at two identically shaped figures
labeling which was for males and females. The only difference was one was
white and the other was black but to a westerner used to the skirt/pants
distinction it was a bit of a mystery, especially when not thinking real
clear due to the urgency

What
picture would they understand?

Don't know for sure as I'm not used to that particular culture but maybe an
apple for mashed apple? On the other hand, I don't know if apples are
visually common there. Or whether that's what was inside since it only had
a picture of a baby on it