BobS

Default Tool ReReview - Refurb Delta Unisaw - Part Three

If you check the archives for this newsgroup, you will find them replete
with reviews of various tools and plenty of comments about the reviews since
the ng was started. Products are designed to "expectations" if you think
about it and if they don't meet the users criteria, then what is one to do?
Informing the manufacturer is one way but in today's business environment,
one person trying to get Delta's attention just doesn't appear to work. But
telling a group of people (here for instance) can influence others buying
decisions - which it definitely does - and that will get their attention
eventually.

If you were satisfied with your purchase and the tolerances and fit and
finish you noted are fine with you, then that is all that matters - for you
and Delta met your expectations. When I was looking at purchasing a cabinet
saw, I certainly relied on a lot of the info I was reading here. At the
time, Delta was having quality problems and it showed. I compared a Jet and
a Uni side-by-side and was able to see what others were finding and
reporting about their purchase. Did I get a better tablesaw for my effort?
Hard to say but what I did avoid were the quality issues prevalent at the
time.

Appears to me that Greg's posts are simply showing that Delta is still
having quality issues because of an apparent lack of Quality Control or the
lack of an ability to maintain consistent quality. Hopefully somebody at
Delta is reading this group and will take the time to look into why things
went wrong and take steps to correct them. But that person has to have the
means and influence within the company to bring change about or we continue
down the same old path that marketing dictates the level of quality and
until you have their full attention - you'll get what they feel they can get
by with - not what you expect for your hard-earned dollars.

I place more stock in what users say here about a product than any magazine
review. After awhile, you read some of what the magazine authors write and
you have to wonder if they were even in the same room with the product
they're reviewing. And consider, when is the last time you read a tool
review that even suggested you should be looking at something else? Heaven
forbid - an honest thought being conveyed about a product and that's
probably the last tool review he'll ever do for that magazine.

So this forum allows for comments that can't/won't be said in a magazine
article. Fact is - you have to read between the lines in either medium and
draw your own conclusions as to the worthiness of the information. This has
been a well balanced review when you consider that we have an experienced
user relating his findings on one hand and on the other, an ex-Delta manager
filling in the blanks on both the technical and some of the reasons of why
things may have gone wrong.

You won't find this kind of dialog in any woodworking magazine and jabs and
pointy-sticks aside, it's been an informative thread. But if it bothers you,
simply pass on reading it - it really is that simple.

Bob S.

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ups.com...

Greg G. wrote:

For years I've heard the mantra "UniSaw, UniSaw", as if nothing else
could compare to the end-all and be-all of cabinet saws. But like all
things contrived by the mind and hands of man, it, too, has it's
shortcomings and it's share of design compromises. Only fools blind
themselves to truth - and in doing so, adore the Emperor's new cloths.

I'm not blind to its compromises. I just always assumed they would be
there and I don't let them detract from my enjoyment of the tool, since
they don't detract from my use of the tool.

The difference is, not one
single person has ever claimed that a previous report was tainted by
sour grapes, or implied a personal vendetta. Sacred Cow indeed.

Did I imply that? I meant to imply merely that you are too hard to
please.

And since your experience essentially mirrors my findings, why are you
even reading this? Why do you feel the need to assault a report that
you generally admit purveys valid information?

This is tantamount to:
My High School is better than Your High School.
Fords are better than Chevy's.
My Dad can whip your Dad.
My Bush is a twit, your Bush is a dullard.

Trolls? Sock Puppets? Have I hit a raw nerve of insecurity?
(Rhetorical questions - no need to reply.) g

I think the nerve that was struck was yours.

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."