Default stripping OLD paintwork

didds wrote:
I have deja'd but nothing seems to answer my question eaxactly, so
please bear with me :-)

We have had some wainscotting installed using reclaimed tongue and
groove. However, the reclaimed tng was previously painted and now
looks very tatty - basically we need to repaint it. However, we
presume we'll need to strip the old paint off the wood first.

We have tried using a heat gun and scraper BUT its has taken an age to
do less than 10 feet length - we would have another 40 feet or so to
do. (an age = about three days!).

Is there an alternatoive that we could use that would be as effective
for a paint over afterwards? The wood is full of staples etc (we think
it probably came froma school maybe) so sanding probably isn't an
option as the staples would just rip the sanding paper to bits :-(

I am a diy novice so please be gentle - basically I haven;t a clue what
to do or how to acheive it; all I know is it needs to be done (?)
before painting and I want the easiest/least hassle route to acheive
it!

(not much to ask ;-)

cheers

ian

no need to strip to paint. If you prefer wood, apply white spirit and
wire brush to clean up.

Maybe use linseed oil based paint, told it needs a fraction the
maintenance of household gloss.

NT