Mike Harrison

Default Using a pipe as a conduit.

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:45:56 +0000, Lurch wrote:

On or around Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:10:28 -0000, "OG"
mused:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I have a 15mm copper pipe which will be made redundant. It runs from
the ground floor to the loft. It is ideal for running a flex cable
inside, which will save me some stress. I would imagine it will have a
number of elbows along the way. Is there a mouse or pull cord that can
be sucessfully fed down a 15mm pipe, the cable attached and pulled
through. Is this possible?

I guess an important question is whether it is safe to hide a flex inside a
copper pipe? Sometime in the future someone may find the pipe and cut
through the pipe not knowing that there is a potentially live cable inside
it.

At least if someone comes across a conduit they expect to find a cable
inside it; but a presumed redundant copper pipe wouldn not set off any
warning bells.

Personally I wouldn't

Just a thought.

There's also the fact that unless this cable is low voltage then the
OP shouldn't be running a 0.5mm flex through 2 storeys of a house in
place of fixed wiring.

Why not ? Can't see how it is any less secure inside a 15mm copper pipe than nailed down...