Greg G.

Default Tool ReReview - Refurb Delta Unisaw - Part Three

DonkeyHody said:

C & S wrote:

Does anyone else get the impression that Greg is like the guy who just
bought the V8 Mustang and is expecting Formula 1?

But now that I think about it, it's more like buying a Corvette and
_getting_ a Mustang. (And I currently own three Ford products.)

Unisaws are marketed as premiere products, not Kiddy Cars.

Yep.

I sure hope he never buys anything I build. I'm sure it wouldn't pass
muster. I bet Powermatic is glad he bought Delta.

Don't worry, I won't be buying anything of yours - comfortable now?
And I certainly wouldn't review handicrafts publicly.
But a one-off handcrafted piece can hardly be held to the same
standards that are applied to a mass-produced power tool.

For years I've heard the mantra "UniSaw, UniSaw", as if nothing else
could compare to the end-all and be-all of cabinet saws. But like all
things contrived by the mind and hands of man, it, too, has it's
shortcomings and it's share of design compromises. Only fools blind
themselves to truth - and in doing so, adore the Emperor's new cloths.

Should I pander to the Sacred Cow crowd and croon over it's feigned
magnificence? (I've sure heard enough of that for the past 6 years..)
Might as well go read a tainted magazine review. Why it's so hard for
you guys to comprehend the word "Review" is beyond me.

I bought a reconditioned Unisaw a couple of years ago. Noticed some of
the same imperfections he mentioned. Figured that's part of what I
traded off when I paid approximately half the price of a new
Powermatic. I sure didn't let it take away the enjoyment I get every
time I run a board across it. I have no idea how flat my top is. But
I'm sure it's flatter than any board in my shop. It cuts wood like a
dream. That's what I bought it for.

Again, I am simply reporting what I've found for those who don't have
the ability to see one for themselves. There are numerous contenders
in the same price range as even a refurb Unisaw, and I am simply
reporting the results of an in depth examination. I would do the
same, and have, for numerous other tools. The difference is, not one
single person has ever claimed that a previous report was tainted by
sour grapes, or implied a personal vendetta. Sacred Cow indeed.

I am glad that you are happy with your purchase, and I hope your
twobufour dog and bird houses look spiffy at the craft fair. g
As for the declaration of "flatter than any board in my shop", well...
2x4 veneer cores are not known for their precision. g

As I have previously pointed out, precision is a criteria for me - and
was a reason for upgrading. A piece of quartersawn hard oak surfaced
on the jointer (which is also Delta, BTW) is flatter than a tolerance
of .032" - and yes, for more than a week. Exposed glue lines and
wavering joints you can get from $300 Ryobi table saw. I never
claimed it was a POS, I never inferred that it had no inherent value,
I am simply pointing out it's feet of clay. So shoot the messenger.
Hell, I haven't even provided a closing summary.

Since competition out there in the real world is stiff, management
would also do well to take these matters under advisement - seeking
remedies for the warts that DO exist to prevent their products from
paling in the light of more aggressive and efficient competitors. And
since this saw is essentially a NEW saw with a few scratches, sold
with NEW accessories, it's status as a refurb is somewhat irrelevant.
Scratches, chipped blades, and other stupid mishandling defects are
par for the course.

And since your experience essentially mirrors my findings, why are you
even reading this? Why do you feel the need to assault a report that
you generally admit purveys valid information?

This is tantamount to:
My High School is better than Your High School.
Fords are better than Chevy's.
My Dad can whip your Dad.
My Bush is a twit, your Bush is a dullard.

Trolls? Sock Puppets? Have I hit a raw nerve of insecurity?
(Rhetorical questions - no need to reply.) g

Greg G.