George E. Cawthon

Default disposal rusted mounting flange and leak

Timo wrote:
The KA flange in the drain, visible when looking down at the sink, is
still in very good condition. It's the mounting flange under the sink
that is all rusty. Upon closer inspection, when looking up at the sink
from below, it seems the sink itself, all around the circumference of
the drain, may be corroded. We'll have to remove the disposal to see for
sure.
Timo

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Timo" wrote in message ...

If I understand the gist of your replies, you both agree that it's
material, not workmanship? Do I have a basis from griping with the
company that installed it? Did they choose a cheapo flange?
Timo

Are you talking about the visible flange in the sink opening? Does
the flange have the KA logo embossed on it? Mine does. It has been
in place for about 18 years and it is perfect condition. I'm not sure
just what you have as the KA has nothing that would rust out. If the
installer did something else, you have a gripe against him.

That top flange is supposed to be set in plumber
putty. Maybe some one didn't use putty to seal
the flange to the sink. If the sink is really
rusted, you may need to buy another sink.
Otherwise just get a new nut and gasket.