ameijers

Default heavy thick butchers cutting board ? Need options

"scale" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a utiltiy sink in the basement and it is one of those really old
cement dual bowl units. Its awsome.

anyway...my plumbing comes from the ceiling. I bought a new faucet for
the thing that mounts the same way my old one did.

The old brackets that came from the sink broke when i took out the old
faucet.

They were just 2 pieces of threaded rod that came up through the sink
and mounted through the holes (eyelets) on the faucet. I cant find them
at any hardware store. It looks easy enough to make but i thought
rather than do that...i would try to find some 1 to 1.5 inch thick
pieces of that cutting board stuff people use in commerical meat
markets and grocery stores. I could drill this and mount it flush to
the sink...then take another piece and butt joint it vertically and
mount the faucet on that.

Problem is.....where can you get a slab of that stuff?

I thought about using green treated lumber but that seems just plain
stupid. It wouldnt last.

Wood plus water equals eventual problems. You'd have to keep it urethaned or
oiled religiously, or the first time the wood got wet, it would go black on
you. (Butchers bleach&oil daily, assuming wood is even legal for that
anymore.) If you don't want to recreate the old threaded rod mount,
something that would look appropriate would be slab soapstone, or slate, or
granite, like an old-time school chem lab. If you aren't fussy about color,
and the size isn't too big, a local custom counter shop may give you a
discount if they can use what would otherwise be an 'oops' piece. If you can
mock it up in wood, and carry that in so they don't need a site visit, even
cheaper.

aem sends...