Ray L. Volts

Default Heater fan repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message
Roger G writes:

I have a small heater fan marked Krups type 984. The fan motor and the
whole unit appear very clean and nothing seems burned or damaged. The
problem is the fan doesn't spin with power applied (it tries to spin,
turning very, very slowly). I can turn the fan by hand and it feels a
little stiff.

It seems maybe the motor just needs lubrication but I don't know how
to do it properly. Do I need to remove the fan blade to get at the
motor? How? Do I need to clean the motor bearings before adding new
oil?

Assuming it's the typical shaded pole motor,

It's best to remove the fan blades and disassemble the motor to remve
the shaft from the bushings.

Then. clean out the gummed up bushings and the shaft, put a couple
drops of electric motor oil on the shaft and bushings, reassemble
in reverse order.

My experience with these motors is that relubes don't last nearly as long as
the initial period before the fan started binding. I've tried everything
from 3-in-1 oil, sewing machine oil, teles oil, silicon oil, PTFE fluid,
WD-40, etc.. Same story with all. I presume this is due to the sleeve
bearings wearing such that the shaft is allowed to wobble/shutter. Or
perhaps the factories use a highly specialized lube just for these motors.

Also, Roger, if this is the shaded pole motor Sam and I are assuming it is
and it has the stamped blades with rubber coupler, you must get the blades
reinstalled just right or the imbalance will cause annoying vibration/rattle
which also happens to add to the wear on the sleeve bearings.