DanG

Default Adding a cleanout - Harder than it sounds...

You are headed the right way. You might consider a double clean
out, 2 combo's on their backs, bottom to bottom, to allow cleaning
either direction. your municipality may require a backwater
valve, though they can become maintenance hassles. here is about
the only picture I could find of a double cleanout, scroll down to
the Texas Twin Cleanout:
http://www.abifoundry.com/catalog_price.htm#Twin%20Cleanout%20(East%20Bay%20 Code)
They can be made easily with PVC combos or wyes.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"hanson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a tub, two sinks, a toilet, on the 2nd floor. They are
the only
fixtures that drain into a Cast Iron Stack which is now clogged.
This
drain line leads to a shallow 30" crawlspace with a dirt floor
and very
difficult access (must crawl 25 feet to get to it). The drain
runs
vertically along the short foundation wall, then heads
horizonally
through the wall, just below the ground. Basically, the only
piping
accessible from the crawlspace is a cast-iron 90.

The problem: There is no cleanout to get a snake into.

I would like to add a cast-iron cleanout just outside the
foundation
wall, since the drain line is only a few inches deep right
there. I
will snap the drain line, and add a cast Iron cleanout with the
propper
no hub connectors.

Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? Is there
another
way I should go? I have only worked with Cast Iron a few times
before.
I figure two snap-cuts, two no-hub connectors, and I have a
cleanout.