Philip Lewis

Default Heater for outdoor "cat house"

Lots of great suggestions.
An Idea for "Windproof" door:
take two pieces of blanket.
Attach first blanket at top, bottom, and right side of opening.
Attach second blanket at top, bottom, and left side of opening.
might take the cat a little to get used to pushing through but i think
it will keep out the drafts. Place the outside open side downwind of
the prevailing winds. Should keep out the drafts pretty well i think.

I like Nicks idea of the door opening being lower than the floor.
Dig the trough now, before the ground freezes.

For heat, I think the idea of the lightbulb is good... and using the
240W bulb in a 120 fixture is really good. (just don't do it the other
way around. Can be put on a timer and only used when it's *really*
cold.

Windows... plastic taped on either side of the insulation (leaving an
air gap for insulation).

Insulation:
Is there a particular reason folks are shouting "stay away from
fiberglass!"? I understand "bats" , but I think the foil backed
"pressed" fiberglass sheets might be good in this application... as
might foil backed foamboard. (if my understanding of the radiant
properties is correct.)

Ground insulation is a *great* idea. (as anyone who's slept on bare
ground can attest... the earth can suck the hear right out of you.)

Of course, the biggest trick is going to be getting the cats to accept
this Taj Mahal.... good luck!

--
be safe.
flip