Vortex

Default Magnetic compass polarity reversal??

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Vortex was thinking very hard :
Hi,

I'm looking at relocating my satellite dish next weekend.

Just got out my trusty 30 year old SILVA compass to do a bit of
surveying, and I've noticed the red (should be north) end of the needle
is pointing south!!

By way of confirmation the needle still "dips" to the north...it's just
the wrong end of the needle that is both pointing and "dipping" to the
north.

Can anybody offer a plausible explanation for this? I'm mystified!

It has been stored in a position with the needle unable to move and close
to a magnet with an opposing polarity. In other words it has been
remagnetised with the wrong polarity.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Sounds plausible to me.

To be clear the compass works fine, it's just 180 degrees out...so I
achieved my objective,

My dish location problem is caused by neighbouring trees which are much
taller than they were 8 years ago...

Also at the new location I need clear horizon between 28.2 East (SKY), and
13.0 East to cover Astra 19.2 and Eutelsat.

..........I have a winter of HDTV "anorakking" ahead.

David