George

Default Slippery Elem

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
Semi-gloat.

I stumbled across some slippery elm while helping clear a building site
for a Kingdom Hall recently.

When wet, the wood stinks somewhat like the north end of a southbound
horse.

Elm - slippery, American, rock and Siberian are all great turning wood.
Near bulletproof drying, as you've discovered, and handsome when burnished
to let the grain reversals shine.

Was cutting some hard maple felled in July yesterday. Had a rich, wine
smell to it as the sap had begun to ferment. Altogether pleasant, as my
visiting daughter noted. She suffered through willow and elm many times,
but used to hang out with me when I was turning cherry.