Duane Bozarth

Default What to do with my 1hp delta shaper?

Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Sell the shaper. Without being familiar with your particular model,
they usually match all components together when making or designing a
purpose built machine.

It's the Delta LD 1/2" spindle shaper...

So, it was probably never intended to swing a large bit. ...

Precisely...

So, you are saying it is not the right machine to do raised panels on? I
thought something that heavy could do anything; but I am thankful to find
out now, before I put work into it.

Depends on how large a cutter diameter you intend to use. But no, it
isn't intended to run anything larger than what it's designed for.
There are some cutters available w/ 3/4" bore that are supplied w/ 1/2"
bushings that I would feel safe in using. If they're larger than about
the 3" opening I'd not feel comfortable using them on mine even though
they would _probably_ not twist off the spindle, I'm not comfortable...

Poking around I found some instruction on Jesada's website for raised panel
cutters. They are used upside down, with the panel face up! So the hole in
the table is irrelevant, as the cutter never goes near the hole.
Is that how you use them?

Some do, but not freehand. If you run them w/ the panel face up, you
_must_ imo use a power feeder both for safety and for any chance of
getting a decent finish surface. See George's additional remarks in
that regard...

I emailed half a dozen shaper manufactures asking if their products are safe
to use on a 1/2" 1hp Delta shaper. We'll see what they say.

I would assume if they sell them w/ a 1/2" insert, they'll have to say
they're ok to use on a 1/2" spindle, wouldn't you?

I personally don't have the required "pucker power" to turn it on w/
anything much over a 3 to 3-1/2" OD. As noted before I _know_ a 1/2"
steel shaft is pretty strong and should take the load, but I just can't
make myself do it--it just doesn't "look" safe (to me) and I don't feel
safe, whether I am or not...

If I didn't have a larger shaper, _perhaps_ my feeling would change, but
I doubt it...

Incidentally, I measure the amperage with no load at 11.5a. While taking
1/8" off of 6/4 oak at a fairly high feed rate, it went up to 12.1a. Since
it is rated at 14.4a, this suggests it is capable of doing some pretty heavy
cutting.

Power won't be much of an issue imo...