Larry Jaques

Default Update on machinist trainee

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:57:07 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"mr electron" wrote in message
roups.com...

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
It's absurd to assume that just because you're willing to work that you
deserve respectable pay. What message is that sending society?

Ahhhh... work hard, live well? Just a thought ;-)

No offense, but I think it's time to come off of your condescending
high horse.

Most folks that think they are worth unearned money feel the same way. You
one of them?

There's nothing condescending about my attitude ----- in fact, it's one that
more should assume. We're living in a society that hasn't a clue about
*value*. You don't think so? Explain to me in terms that I can
understand why it is that virtually all of our industries have left for
greener pastures. You can debate all day long the concept that they are
greedy, but the truth is if we want to have jobs in this country, we must
compete in a world market. Demanding more pay when your employer is giving
serious consideration to sending his orders for widgets to a different
country, where he can obtain them without putting up with whining employees
that see themselves as hard put upon because the boss expects them to
actually show up and be productive is a good way to accelerate the process,
and who can blame them?

Hear, hear! But the demands are actually more pay, fewer hours, free
health care to abuse, and a better working environment than the gods
themselves have. I just love Union thinking, don't you?

Where this leads are top-paid stevedore jobs with the Maf^H^H^HUnions
since all the industry has gone offshore and beaucoup megatons of
imports have to be handled.

I can't speak for you, but when I was employed (I worked for myself for
years, because I wasn't pleased with the inequities of employers) I worked
my ass off for the boss. He got everything from me that he bargained for.
I showed up, did my day's work, and there was no concern about anything else
but that. Expecting that today appears to be unreasonable.

Yeah, I don't understand the lack of work ethic that I see today.
Why do so many people have NO pride whatsoever in their work? Has
the pursuit of a greenback become the sole drive now? What a way to
live. Feh!

I don't like
people that think they can ride free on society. Maybe you haven't
figured it out yet-------but it's true----there is no free lunch.

Hence Heinlein's famous acronym, TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

--

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has
become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by

-President Ronald Reagan
First Inaugural Address
Tuesday, January 20, 1981