James Sweet

Default A.C. capacitor source needed...

Try this unit from Allied Electronics (www.alliedelec.com):
Catalog # 591-0510
GENERAL ELECTRIC CAPACITOR 97F9002
CAPACITOR, MOTOR RUN, OVAL, 10uf, 6% TOLERANCE, 370 VOLTS
$6.23 Ea.

YES, I know all about that one.(have it on in my stock shelf as a
matter of fact.)
First off it's a big ass aluminum can starter cap for heavy duty AC
motors, won't work for the tiny compressor motor I have,will most
likely either not start the motor or will burn up the windings.
what I need is a small solid state cap.(also works as a condenser
soaking up surges to avoid burning the fine windings out. That big
commercial cap won't do that.)
What I have is a small finish compressor a Senco PC1010 designed for
mini paint guns/air brushes and small air guns, the motor is 3/4
nominal output, 1hp peak.
Hell that GE can is nearly as big as the motor itself and certainly
wouldn't fit in the motor housing.(nor bolt comfortably on the outside
even if it could work.)
It's a simple ass little solid state(electronic) capacitor which 25
years ago could easily be gotten at any electronic supplier.

As far as the motor is concerned, a 10uF capacitor is a 10uF capacitor.
Yes mounting can be an issue of it's physically too large but
electrically it will work perfectly and in my experience the oil filled
caps are a lot more robust than the silly little epoxy block ones. I've
had several of those fail in refrigerators and window A/C units and I
always replace them with surplus oil filled units when space permits.