Default Fastenal VS Grainger

Hi Bugs,

Being a Sales Rep for a wholesale only supplier has always bothered
me a little bit. Sometimes it was a policy for the better, sometimes
not. I would get a local person, a homeowner who would come to the
counter or call and need some miniscule part like a sprocket or
something, and because they were not a business, I could not make the
sale. It made for the most part a difficult interaction with the
customer. Then again, I would get the same type of customer who would
come in and would be looking for a pair of Linesman gloves because they
wanted to work on the electrical box in their home and needed to grab
the electrical lines. In that case they were sent packing, LOL. But
in most cases, if you have a sales rep in front of you who is not too
tightly wound, they, in WWG case can do a one time "accomadation sale",
OR, we are all employed to en extent in some way, the company you
work for may have an account, and you as an employee should be able to
use that account and pay cash or credit card. Again, both of these
scenerios depend on the type of item you are trying to buy. Some items
are sold wholesale B2B for a reason.. As in the case I illustrated
above with the Linesmans Gloves. Or say a gas valve or something
sensitive like that.

JMS

Bugs wrote:
My local fastener supply [not Fastenall] went from being very helpful
with some odd size screws four years ago, to putting up a big sign that
says "Wholesale Only". It looks to me like they are about to go belly
up. Most of their trade was walk-ins like me. Seems kind of dumb to cut
off a large portion of your sales even though they require a little
investment in time and tact. Just my 2 cents worth.
Bugs