Toller

Default Excessive TS motor amperage?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message
I measured the current to the 8.6a motor on my table saw while ripping
some 6/4 oak with a combination blade. I figure that is about the
heaviest I ever stress it.
It measured 9.1a.
What should I make of that? Is it normal to go over the rating on heavy
loads? I haven't had any problems; I was just curious what the current
would be.

Perfectly normal. When motors wear the bearings are one of the first
things to go and a quick way to find out is to measure the load. It will
be higher than the rating. Left to go too long that way the motor will
burn out. Same with blower motors when the bearings on that start to bind
the motor overworks. Pumps, same deal.

You did not harm running that way for a few minutes, but after a few
hours, you'd potentially have a problem.

I would never use it like that for more than a minute at a time. So, am I
okay, or are you warning me my bearings are going?