mm

Default Mice in walls

On 12 Nov 2005 11:04:19 -0800, wrote:

Just as the subject states: I have some mice in my walls.

- My house is new (5 months old)
- I hear them chewing at the framing inside the wall between the
kitchen and the dining room
- A cold air return runs in this wall

I've used Riddex and the like the past with good results as far as
killing the mice. But they usually crawl somewhere, die, rot...and
well -- stink. Fine for a garage or attic area but these guys are
inside the wall. What would be recommended? Traps? Is there poison
that will kill them and dry them out or something? I have pets and
small children so poison and traps are obviously damgerous no matter
what the outcome.

Any thoughts? And any thoughts as to bait on the traps? I hate to use
the glue traps because the mouse gets stuck and usually ends up chewing
a leg off or something gross.

I've used glue traps and usually they struggle for 10 minutes, then
stop struggling until I disturb them to remove them. One of the big
makers of glue traps said that vegetable oil poured on the surface
will let them loose again. (Remember to do this outside.) It's
probably true of all brands, but this was a famous brand for the last
50 years. They make mousetraps and mouse poison boxes too.. Check
their webpages or ask me.

Oh yeah, when I just tried to ask them a question the customer
service person didn't understand, she sent me some free traps,
including a reusuable one. The mice goes in to eat the bait and
somehow can't get out. I haven't caught a mouse with it yet, but I
think I relied on what they called permanent bait. I also saw a
reusable of a different style in a dollar store. it was shaped like
__/ so that when the mouse went in to get the bait you chose, it
tipped over on its vertex (?), angle, and locked.

No way your kids or animals could get hurt by reusable traps.

I've heard that one should wash his hands or wear gloves before
touching this stuff, because the mice can smell your smell, and then
they won't bite, but the customer service person said she hadn't heard
that.

I think there are also glue traps with roofs, like roach traps, so
that what goes on inside is not so noticeable. And it's not so
likely your pet or child will step in one.

Cats are very effective, but I wouldn't be certain that your kid won't
learn a lesson. I believe they often torment a mouse after they have
caught it. I saw this in the cartoons first, but then I saw it real
life. Even if she just sees the cat eat it.... well, she has to grow
up sometime. If you lived on a farm, she know all this already.
Where does she think lambchops, chicken, and steaks come from. OK,
she might not ask about that for a few years yet, and she might not
see anything that you do to the mice either.

After mice die, they sometimes dry up without any smell. I found one
in the basement, and I found one just outside the kitchen door, under
the lawnmower.

I don't need my six year old girl seeing
that.

I'm in Eastern Ontario...

Thanks a lot.

Corey