Pop

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

Two to 2.5 cents inine from this peanut gallery:

"John Willis" wrote in message
: On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:18:09 GMT, Dan_Musicant

: scribbled this interesting note:
:
: an, you're right. Also, you shouldn't be able to see heads
of fasteners
: :PERIOD.
For sure! From ANY direction. I can't find it, but there is a
spec on how/where nails go in shingles. Anyone know it?

:
: Does that mean from overhead or from an angle? The PM contends
that if
: you can only see it from the side, it's not of consequence.
asked I will tell you they will leak.
:
: On the other hand, if you have a seven year labor warranty,
what the
: hell? If you get any leak whatsoever, this fellow is liable for
it.
Umm, he doesn't sound like the kind to rush right over to take
care of any future problems; he can't do it right the first time,
has time to do it over partially now, but I wouldn't bet on later
on. He just doesn't want to bother.

: Any problems ought to show themselves in that seven year time
frame.
: Ask him if he will be liable for consequential damage like
interior
: painting?
I suspect this type of person wouldn't feel liable for any
consequential damage at all, including the inside attic debris,
etc..
:...
Somewhere I saw a comment that legal action wouldn't be worth it,
but I disagree. If he won't make it right before he calls it
finished, I'd say take him to small claims court, depending on
the max you can sue for there. Around here it's $6,000, and that
6k would not only pay for the inspection the OP discussed, plus
the repairs, but maybe even a beer or two afterwards. It's also
a lot easier to win in small claims courts as a generaal rule.
If the contractor values his business at all, he'll stop
before he has to get to court and take care of things. He won't
like the bad PR that could scrape up for him.
OTOH, you can't be an a_hole about it, either. If it hasn't
already been done, someone should get up there with a camera and
take pictures of the problems, with at least one of the pictures
including that day's newspaper for "proof" of the date the
pictures were taken. That would be usable in most small claims
courts; they like pictures.

: But be firm. There are likely other problems you can't see
right now
: that will turn up over time. Keep his phone number handy...you
will be
: needing it later...
.... or sooner. g. If all this info is correct, that guy's
doing the same stuff to other people too, so he should be
stopped. Gives the whole industry a black eye.
:
:
: --
: John Willis
:
: (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

HTH,

Pop