josh

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

"Dan_Musicant" wrote

Does that mean from overhead or from an angle? The PM contends that if
you can only see it from the side, it's not of consequence.

Dan,

This person is yanking your chain. You're not supposed to see the fasteners
from any angle. I suggest you read the warranty, posted on Elk's site. Your
warranty is void, when not installed correctly. You can read the
installation procedures, also on their site. In bold letters, it states:
"Always nail or staple through the fastener line". It also states exposure
is 5-5/8", with the nail line at 6-1/8".

There's not a lot of margin for error, when installing these shingles.

This is why I would also be concerned of placement of fasteners, with a
proper distance from the seams.