John Willis

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:18:09 GMT, Dan_Musicant
scribbled this interesting note:

an, you're right. Also, you shouldn't be able to see heads of fasteners
:PERIOD.

Does that mean from overhead or from an angle? The PM contends that if
you can only see it from the side, it's not of consequence.

See my earlier post about the surface tension of water and how it will
curl around the bottom edge of the shingle. On a 4/12 pitch, I've seen
water marks on shingles up to an inch above the bottom edge of the
shingle above. Those fasteners will get wet. Over time that moisture,
with repeated freezings and thawings, will move those fasteners around
a bit and eventually they will leak. Absolutely and with no other
questions asked I will tell you they will leak.

On the other hand, if you have a seven year labor warranty, what the
hell? If you get any leak whatsoever, this fellow is liable for it.
Any problems ought to show themselves in that seven year time frame.
Ask him if he will be liable for consequential damage like interior
painting?

Right now the owner of the company is on the defensive and of course
he will deny, deny, deny. That being said, it sounds like he might
just be firing one of his crews because they screwed up this job so
badly. You will find that you will get better service if you become
his friend rather than his enemy. At this point he knows his crew
messed up a simple job. He knows his good name is on the line. He
should want to make it right, and so far as he is able at the moment,
he seems to be doing that.

But be firm. There are likely other problems you can't see right now
that will turn up over time. Keep his phone number handy...you will be
needing it later...

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)