Dan_Musicant

Default Asphalt shingle roofing question: How exposed is an "exposed nail?"

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:54:26 GMT, "josh" wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote
: To me, that means they didn't do the job right. Am I wrong?
:
an, you're right. Also, you shouldn't be able to see heads of fasteners
:PERIOD.

Does that mean from overhead or from an angle? The PM contends that if
you can only see it from the side, it's not of consequence.
:
:
: I told him I had a mind to have the roof professionally assessed and he
: said go ahead. I called one of the estimators I had bid the roof and he
: called me back and said their fee is normally $300. He said that after
: they finish their repairs today if I still want to to call him back and
: he'd come out and do the inspection. Is $300 too steep for that? I can
: call some other local roofers.
:
:I have been in court for testimony, on more than one occasion. First, before
:you have anyone come out, and assess the project, make double sure, they
:have qualifications which will stand up in court. Otherwise, you're throwing
:your money away, again.
:
:Qualifications should include at least five years in the profession.
:Licensed, bonding (if required), and insurance. Any roofing certifications
:from manufacturers, such as Master installer etc. A list of projects and
ermits pulled within the last five years.

The guy I called is from a large reputable roofing company. I haven't
checked them out in detail, but will before I hire them for an
inspection. They were the high bidder on the job and their bid looked it
- fancy packaging. They, too, were recommended in the local area Good
Service Guide along with about 4 other roofers, including MY roofer!
:
:I can't speak for other areas of the country, or even in my state. For my
:area, an assessment would include detailed & typed documentations of the
roblems, with photos & labeling provided at a cost of $150.00. Actually
:going to court, providing sworn testimony, or questions/answer sessions for
:your attorney/others, or any other incurred time, would be additional, @ $60
er hour plus expenditures.

Sounds expensive to take this to court.
:
:If you already have a family attorney, I would put in a call to them, for
:advice on exactly where to proceed before spending anymore.

I don't have an attorney, but my sister (who lives close by) probably
does or knows of them, or can get a good recommendation.

I don't know if he'll budge on the side-seen nail heads, but he changed
his mind about the double underlayment on the low sloped dormer (about
500 square footer). He called and said they WOULD tear it off and apply
two layers of underlayment (maybe a second on top of the first, I don't
know) and put new shingles on top. Hopefully, this time they will nail
them right.

I think it might still be a good idea to have that inspection. It is apt
to turn up some other things they could fix before I pay them. So, even
if the report doesn't figure in a court case, I can use the findings to
get the roofer to fix problems. They seem to be willing to fix things
when I make problems apparent to them. But I don't know much about
roofing, so a professional inspection seems to me to be worth the money,
even if it costs $300.