mm

Default Smoke alarm goes off when it's cold (?)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:50:17 -0500, Roger wrote:

Hi all, I like to heat only the rooms we spend time in during the winter
with space heaters. Now that it's getting colder I have the problem of
the household smoke detecters going off at night. It only happens in
the colder months. Anyone know why this is?

The new battery advice is good.

You don't say if the alarms go off in the rooms where and when the
space heaters are on, or where they are off, or where there aren't
any.

Or what kinds of space heater you use.

I have wire coil space heaters that are at least as old as 1947. They
work fine. But I can imagine that if dust from the summer, or any
other dust, landed on the coil, as some of it must, it could be heated
to the burning point, maybe, when the heater was on.

If this we were a common problem, I think it would say so in the smoke
alarm instructions, but maybve your heaters are especially dusty or
dirty, maybe because they haven't been used for a long time.

Thanks,
Rog

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.