Jon Elson

Default Phase Converter

wrote:
I recently bought a milling machine with a 3hp motor. I purchased a
7.5 hp rotary phase converter and hooked it up to my mill. I have a
100 amp 220 service to my house. Unfortunity I have noticed that when
I first turn the mill on the lights in my shop quickly dim due to
starting of the mill which I understand. My problem is my electric
line is shared with my neighbor then goes to the transformer on the
pole. Another neighbor is also hooked up to the same transformer and
everytime I start the mill the neighbors lights also dim quickly...My
question is due you think I should get the power company to fix the
problem? Do I really need to get a bigger service (200amp) even
though I am only running one machine?

The simplest thing would be to get a VFD, which can slow-start
the motor. I don't get any blink of the lights when I start my
7.5 Hp lathe!

Putting in a 200 A service may not cause the power company to replace
the transformer, depending on its current size.

Jon